You might remember this post, when I complained about not having enough time in between work, the small child, and dying from various illnesses, to get everything done that I’ve been wanting to. Well, since I’ve stopped being permanently sick (thanks, sinus surgery!), I’ve actually had the energy to do things like go to work, clean the house a bit, and fun stuff, such as most of the things I mentioned in that post.
So, almost a year later — I bring you, the paper fan/pom pom corner!
I was going for something like this, to inject some joy to a boring corner of the lounge room.
If you’re looking to make your own paper fans, they’re ridiculously easy and there are a million tutorials online — for instance.
Pom poms are also stupidly quick and simply to make — I don’t now why people bother buying kits, particularly since I just used the years of tissue paper that have been hanging around in my house waiting to be utilised. This tutorial here is good and the Martha Stewart one here isn’t bad either. Mostly whenever I’m learning to do anything crafty, though, I tend read multiple sets of instructions to make sure I know what I’m doing so don’t ask me which one I learnt from, it was about seven of them.
Next, the Dandelyne embroidery hoop brooch! It turned out you had to supply your own backing fabric so I used some raw silk I’ve had sitting around for years. My aunt gave it to me when I was a teenager; she was making costumes for The Australian Ballet at the time and it was left over. I used some of it for an art project I was doing and the rest has sat pleasantly on the fabric pile ever since. It was quite nice to embroider into.
The above is actually my second embroidery attempt; I made the design too big the first time around for the decorative hoop (my own fault, I should’ve marked it on the fabric). I’ll have to think of something to do with that one.
The next step was to hot glue the fabric to the centre piece:
Then, you just glue the backing piece on. My hot glue gun failed me, however, in between these two steps and I ended up having to super glue the backing on. It refused to sit flat after gluing so I had to use the vice:
Finished! And yes, of course it was bunting. I may have a bunting issue.
Finally, kokedama making! Which, like arm knitting, is harder and more annoying than it appears.
I want to make a whole bunch of them but it’s been so freaking cold in Melbourne, going outside is kind of horrid. I’ll post a pic of them all once they’re hanging happily from my massive pear tree.